Sunday, March 7, 2010

Shop-made tools

I've been reluctant to make my own tools, but more and more I find that what I need to make a good bow is pretty hard to find (and expensive, too). So, I've begun learning how to make my own chisels, spade drill bits, etc. It's actually pretty fun, a lot easier than I thought, and very fulfilling.

Above, you see a set of DOCKYARD MICRO CHISELS, currently on sale for: $48.64.

Below, a set of PHILLIPS MICRO CHISELS and a 3.2mm spade bit, costing a grand total of .64 cents (plus a little elbow grease)! The wood is a maple dowel from Home Depot, and the metal parts are music wire (high carbon spring steel) shaped with a file, heated to cherry red over an alcohol lamp, tempered at 425 degrees in the oven for 30 minutes, and then sharpened to a fine edge on a stone.


5 comments:

  1. Good looking and thrifty too. I knew I loved you when I first met you, but this whole do-it-yourself in you is shockingly handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are Home Depot. Can I place an order for a new set of screw drivers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding? Forging your own tools? Can you make steel bows and arks and ships and instruments as well?
    A
    Mazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just learned of this fascinating blog. I'll be visiting often from now on. Loved learning about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Cow I never knew you were a woodworker too! What an amazing skill you have, and blog too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete